Taking some time to plan and prepare can make your hospital stay more comfortable and less stressful. The following checklist is a guide for what to bring with you.
- Health insurance cards
- Personal identification cards
- Your doctors’ names and phone numbers
- Advance Directives, Power of Attorney or Living Will if you have one
- Medical history
- List of medications. Please be sure to include prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and any herbal or natural supplements. (Only bring actual medications to the hospital with you if instructed by physician.)
- Inhalers, if you are asthmatic. Give your inhalers to your nurse when you arrive.
- Bag or backpack to carry your personal items
- Toiletries such as your toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion, deodorant, soap, shampoo, a comb or hair brush.
- Protective containers for eyeglasses, contacts, dentures, wigs or prosthesis.
- Writing paper and pen, for making notes or recording questions you want to ask your doctor.
- Please do not bring jewelry, credit cards, money or other valuables.
Be Prepared to Let Us Know:
- Diet restrictions and preferences
- Language interpretation and communication assistance needs
- Religious or cultural preferences
- Other special needs